Following the renewed activities of kidnappers on the Abuja-Kaduna highway, the authorities of the Nigeria Police on Wednesday announced the deployment of 600 personnel to patrol the route. This was aimed at fishing out the kidnappers who had made the highway a no go area for travellers.
The Deputy Inspector General of Police in charge of Operations, Habila Joshak, who inaugurated the initiative at Rijana, Kachia Local Government Area of Kaduna State, said it was in continuation of the Operation Maximum Safety launched last year. He said the operation comprises 500 regular police officers and men as well as 100 intelligence officers that would take charge of the highway.
Also, Joshak said 60 vehicles would be patrolling the Abuja-Kaduna highway while the remaining 30 vehicles would patrol the Kaduna-Zaria/Kano highway. The DIG, while addressing officers and men drawn from different commands across the country, urged them to ensure that the dreaded highway was made safe for motorists. He said the force would not let Nigerians down in the task of flushing out kidnappers in the country, charging them not to allow the activities of kidnappers to persist on the highway.
Joshak said, “I want to assure Nigerians that we will not have any situation that will overwhelm us. We will be robust in our actions. We will not only be on the highway but Nigerians will see our actions. We have done it before. There will be no more kidnapping on this road again. We have done it before. We will do it again.”
The 600 officers and men of the force were deployed from Abuja, Kaduna, Katsina, Jjigawa, Akwanga, Lafia, Zaria, Minna, Challawa, Port Harcourt and Makurdi.